Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Practices of a Missional Church





This blog is inspired by a message by Darrin Patrick called The Practices of a Missional Church.

I have been taking a class at CBU called Christian Missions; which is essentially a class on how to go beyond one on one evangelism to planting churches (locally and globally). The question of “Why should I as a Christian care about being Missional, much less evangelistic?” has been framed in a variety of different ways in this class. Of course I’m not talking about the Bible bashing “get you act together and go to heaven” tactics. I’m simply referring to the Church body taking an active loving interest in the spiritual well being of those around them. Darrin’s message doesn’t deal so much with the why as much as the how.

I may not agree with everything that Darrin says but I agree his intent. We cannot teach the world about Christ, if we do speak their language. A fancy word I’ve picked up in my class is indigenous. In class we have been learning that for a Church to be vibrant it its community it needs to reflect the culture of the people who are indigenous (natural) to the area. This does not mean that we are to start melding religions together to make the message of Christ gentle and comfortable. Rather we are to use what is common to the indigenous people to speak the truth of Jesus Christ.

After listening to what Darrin said I am left with undeniable reality that people are dying because I have refused to learn how to speak the truth in an understandable way to those that I do not know and even to those who I do know.

If I know you, and you don’t follow Jesus the Christ as your Savior let me say something. I apologize for not telling you the truth in the kindest, gentlest, and humblest way possible. I love you; I do not hate you, but I have not done my part in warning you. Please forgive me, but do not deny Christ and His Father the Glory due to them just because I am too arrogant to speak the truth; which is, Christ came to take the punishment of dying on the cross so that we don’t have to; IF we accept Christ as our savior.